Moving to a rural property or bush block? Need electricity connected?

rural electricity connections

Power connections to bush blocks and country properties.

Rural power specialist, Nick Abbot, explains the process of getting electricity connected to your country property or bush block.

In the past 5+ years, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people moving to rural properties and bush blocks in a bid to escape the rat race and relax into a quieter, country lifestyle.

Most bush blocks and many country properties don’t have services connected such as electricity and water. As property owners start to plan their move, the first thing on their minds is the connection of power to the property so they can start building. This is where I can help.

rural electricity connections

Connecting electricity to a rural property in Queensland.

While each connection is different, the general process of connecting power to a rural property in Queensland is as follows:


The first step is to reach out to a rural power specialist like myself. My knowledge of the local area and expertise in power connections to rural properties and bush blocks means I can typically provide you with a detailed assessment of the steps involved over the phone. I can then do some research to determine the nearest power source and the easiest and most cost effective way to connect your property to the grid.


If required, we can then arrange a convenient time for an in-person site assessment.  Sometimes this is not necessary.

At the site assessment, we can confirm the processes required to connect the property to the grid and provide power to the dwelling and any outbuildings.


To make your electricity connection seamless and stress-free, we will take care of the entire process from start to finish, to get the power connected as soon as possible.  This includes dealing with Energex or Ergon.  We can assist with any approvals that may be required from Council or the electricity providers.

Whether you opt for above ground or underground power, we can assess where powerlines and power poles can be placed, considering easements or property boundaries that may restrict their location.


With the information above, I can provide you with a quotation to complete the works required. This includes the type of connection, power pole placement, and electricity cabling routes – whether above ground or underground power is chosen.

The quotation will include a detailed outline of all work to be undertaken including connection fees, construction costs, and any additional charges.  All work will be completed in compliance with Australian standards and regulations.


Once onsite, we’ll construct the necessary infrastructure that is required to connect power to your property. This includes, where required, power pole supply and installation, transformers, power lines (above ground or underground) and cabling.

We have the knowledge, expertise, equipment and machinery to complete the job quickly and at a competitive price.  You won’t have to wait for multiple trades and will enjoy smoother electricity connectivity.

We can assist your builder by supplying temporary power so you can commence construction.


Once complete, the infrastructure is tested to ensure it meets all safety standards. A connection request is then supplied to your electricity provider informing them that work is complete.  They will then schedule the final connection to provide power to your property. This typically involves connecting the property to the power grid and activating the service.

How much does a new electricity connection cost?

The cost to provide power to a rural property can vary based on the distance from the grid, the terrain and matters relating to your unique property. We can provide a cost estimate to limit any surprises. Contact us directly for advice.

rural power connection

More information

For more information about the process and cost to connect your property to the electricity grid, contact me directly for advice.

We service customers on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast and the Mary Valley including BundabergGympieEumundiPomonaCooroy, Nambour, Yandina, Cooran, Kin Kin, Doonan, Noosa, Maroochydore, Lake Cooroibah, Caloundra, MaryboroughYandinaConondale, and everywhere in between.

Nick Abbot
Licensed Electrician

Call 0439 683 110
Send an SMS
Send an email
Online enquiry form »

rural power connection